Assessment is an important tool in any subject and in any classroom. However, assessment goes beyond the bounds of tests and quizzes. The true possibilities of assessment became clear to me as I continued to explore types of assessment and moved forward with my assessment portfolio. One thing that has resonated with me is the importance of frequent formative assessment. It is critical that a teacher utilizes formative assessment in order to become aware of their students’ level of understanding at all times. Without this, a teacher will not be able to successfully support their students throughout their learning journey. In addition to assessing a student’s level of understanding, formative assessment can be used to identify any misconceptions or misunderstanding that the students may hold. As a result, the frequent use of formative assessment should be completed in order to guide future lessons. Moreover, assessment can and should be differentiated. I feel that this is incredibly important to recognize as I continue to learn about assessment and assessment strategies. 

Follow this link to read more about my journey through learning about assessment: