Classroom Volunteer

I have had the opportunity to volunteer in multiple elementary classrooms within school district 57 and school district 73. These volunteer experiences were valuable to me for many different reasons. These experiences were my first introduction to teaching in a classroom. Not only was I able to assist the teachers with classroom activities and daily tasks, but I was able to step into a teaching role. During one volunteer experience, I was given the opportunity to lead the students through a unit on dance. I learnt a great deal from this experience and it is something that I have reflected on many times throughout my own education. Additionally, I was able to work with students one-on-one and in small groups in order to support their learning.

Healthy Kids Day

In the summer of 2017, I volunteered at Healthy Kids Day in Prince George. Healthy Kids Day is organized by the YMCA of Northern British Columbia and is designed to involve children, parents, and guardians in developing healthy and active lifestyles. During this event, I learnt a great deal about the importance of movement and activity in the lives of children. Additionally, I learnt a number of approaches to including activity and movement into all aspects of learning. As a volunteer, it was my responsibility to develop active numeracy and literacy games for children of all ages. This was a challenge. However, it forced me to think creatively and try new approaches to teaching and learning.

Camp Kanannaq

In the summer of 2019, I volunteered at the YMCA of Northern British Columbia’s Camp Kanannaq in Prince George. During my time volunteering, I learnt a lot about creating equitable opportunities for all people. This summer, a young camper required direct support throughout her day at camp in order to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone. As a volunteer, I spent each day with this young camper and supported her through each activity. I assisted in adapting activities in order to meet her specific needs. Although it was challenging at times, this experience illustrated to me the importance of providing equitable opportunities for all people.